Thursday, November 27, 2008

Bird of Limbo



I've just worked out how to add images. Check out this and Joan Didon and the dusty Mirrorball below! I wonder how I managed to add Alice herself? Curiouser & curiouser!

Any way this is the Bird of Paradise or Strelitzia flower. They're amongst my favourites. I planted a strelitzia (or what I thought was one) in my garden about 11 years ago and while it has grown to a towering height, it didn't flower at all until quite recently when some greyish spikes started to push their way through the 7 foot tall foliage! The variety I bought seems to be an albino giant! Not a skerrick of the conventional gorgeous colours and 4 times taller than any strelitzia I've ever seen anywhere else!

I'll post a picture and see if I've bred a freak of nature or if it is just some seldom cultivated variety. It certainly wouldn't be grown for its looks!
'
STOP PRESS; It's a stelitzia nicola and it may reach 25 feet!

No comments: